To configure code-based authentication, you must enable it in the Admin Portal and then configure it in the desktop application.
Use these steps to enables code based authentication globally for all users.
- If this needs to be turned on only for some users you can create a new policy , select "Enable Code Based Device Authentication" and assign users to the policy.
To enable Code based device authentication:
- Open a browser and log in to the Admin portal.
- In the left navigation pane, click Settings.
- On the Manage Setting screen, select the Policies tab.
- In the Manage Policy section, select Global default policy.
- Select the option for Enable Code Based Device Authentication.
Normally users can login using desktop apps using device authorization code without having to get admin approval. The administrator optionally can configure FileCloud to require user's new devices to be approved by admins before being allowed to be used to login into FileCloud.
To require admin approval, select the policy option in Settings→Policies→Global Defualt Policy. Note that admin approval can be disabled by policy for some user accounts by creating a separate policy.
When this option is enabled, when a user account attempts to login with a new device, the request is sent for approval by the admin. The device shows up in the Devices tab in the Admin portal.
Select Permissions and select the "Allowed" option to approve the device.
Once approved, the user can now login into their account and approve the device to get the device authorization code as usual.
Note that once the device is approved, the user can re-attempt the whole device code based authentication flow without re-requiring admin approval.
Once code based authentication is enabled, follow the following steps to login via a desktop app.
- In the login screen, select "Use Device Authorization Code"
Enter the server URL and the user account name (or email) and then click the "Request Access" button.
3. If the request access was successful, you will get the following dialog which needs a device authorization code to login.
4. To get the device authorization code, you will need to login into the user website and access the devices section to approve this device request. If you click the "open website" link you will directly go to the devices view on login.
5. Click on "Approve Device" to approve the device for access which will provide you with a device code
6. Copy this provided Device Authorization Code and paste this into the Device Authorization Code Dialog and click on "Login" to login.
Once code based authentication is enabled, follow these steps to login with mobile apps :
Select "Add a new account" and click "Use code"
2. Enter your credentials and select "Request access"
If the request was successful, you will get the following dialog which requires a device authorization code to login. Click "Save" after inputing the code.
To get the device authorization code, you will need to login into the user website and access the devices section (Settings > Devices) to approve this device request.
- Click on "Approve Device" to approve the device for access which will provide you with a device code
- If you wish to complete this process at a later time, you can exit the dialog in the app. When you have the required code, simply select the corresponding cell. You can also delete the pending request using the icon on the right side.