Internet Content Adaptation Protocol (ICAP) antivirus integration is available in FileCloud Server version 18.2
- The antivirus security feature works on both Linux and Windows servers.
- Antivirus scanning applies only for uploaded files, that is when files are uploaded to a FileCloud server instance.
- The virus scanning of a file is scheduled as soon as the file upload is completed.
- Virus scanning is managed by the FileCloud server itself.
- The antivirus product may or may not be deployed on the same server as the one running the FileCloud server instance.
You must address virus scanning as it is a critical security feature, especially when file storage is involved.
- FileCloud allows users to upload files with arbitrary content.
- It is of utmost importance to make sure that the uploaded files are checked for malicious content in the form of viruses, trojans, malware, etc.
- FileCloud readily integrates with a variety non-commercial and commercially licensed antivirus solutions available in the market.
You can configure FileCloud to scan uploaded files in the following ways:
- Use ClamAV, an opensource antivirus software that is included with FileCloud
- Use ICAP to integrate your own choice of antivirus scanning software with FileCloud
In the following section, to display more information, click on a topic.
Internet Content Adaptation Protocol (ICAP) is a generic protocol that allows web servers to offload specialized tasks. This delegation is helpful when the tasks require custom-built servers.
Examples of such specialized tasks include:
- DLP (data loss prevention) based content scanning
- URL filtering
- antivirus scanning
If you have already purchased your own anti-virus solution and want to use it, then choose ICAP.
If you do not want to use ClamAV for various reasons, then choose ICAP.
If you want to use antivirus scanning included with FileCloud Server, then choose ClamAV.
Which solution do you want to use?
Neither of these options provides any protection for the server on which FileCloud is deployed. The antivirus solution configured here applies only for the uploaded files.