The ability to re-share and also manage subsequent shares that have been created from your original share is available in FileCloud version 18.2
- Sharing privately provides more security when sharing folders and files.
- This is useful when you only have a small number of people you want to share with.
- You are able to look up existing FileCloud users' email addresses, and then send them an email with a link to the share.
- You can send a share link to a user without a FileCloud account and invite the user to create an account to access the share. See Sharing Files Privately with New Users.
When you share a folder privately, users are required to log in with their FileCloud accounts to access the folder and its contents on the User Portal.
A private share owner you have the ability to:
- View and manage re-shares; that is, shares created from your shared folder by other users.
- Assign managers to view and manage re-shares.
To share a folder privately
- In the user portal, hover over the folder and click the Share icon.
The Share link dialog box opens.
At this point, the share is public.
- Click Change or Share Options.
The Share link dialog box expands.
- Next to Sharing Permissions, select the option Allow Selected Users or Groups.
A section with User and Groups tabs opens below Sharing Permissions.
- Share options for private folder shares are the same as share options for public folder shares, except you cannot include a password for accessing the share. To configure the Share Options, see Share Options for Folders.
- On the Users tab, click Invite Users to add individual users to the share.
An Invite Users to this Share dialog box opens.
- In Add email address or account, begin to enter the user name or email address of a user with a FileCloud account.
Any matching users appear.
- Click Add to add the user to the Invited Users dialog box.
- Add any number of users to the share.
You may also add users who do not have existing FileCloud accounts. See Share a Folder Privately with New Users for help.
- Send Email is checked by default. To edit the email you are sending, or to not send email, see Sending an Email Notification for a Private Share, below.
- When you are done adding users, click Add Users to this Share.
The Invite users to this share dialog box closes, and the users appear under Sharing Permissions.
- Check and uncheck the sharing permissions buttons for each user to change the actions they can perform on the share.
By default, only View and Download permissions are enabled on private folder shares. You cannot remove View permission because that would remove the user from the share; however, if you want to remove the user from share, click x at the end of the row.
For information about each of the share permissions, see Private Share Permissions for Folders.
- Click the Groups tab and then click Add Groups to add FileCloud groups to the share.
An Add Group dialog box opens.
- Select a group and click Add.
- Add any number of groups.
- Modify the actions each group can perform on shares.
- Click OK to save your changes to the private share.
Sending an Email Notification for a Private Share
By default, when you are adding a user to a private share, the Send Email box in the Invite users to this share dialog box is checked (see Step 9 in the procedure above).
If you leave the box checked, an email with the share link is sent to users added to the share.
To not send the email to share members:
- Uncheck Send Email before clicking Add Users to this Share.
To customize the email content
- Leave Send Email checked and click Edit.
An email form with the subject and text message of the email opens.
- If you want to change the subject or text of the message, change it here, and click OK.
- If you want to add additional recipients, change the format of the email, or remove the link, click Advanced.
An email form with additional customization options opens.
- Make any changes, and click OK.
- Private Share Permissions for Folders
- Share a Folder Privately with New Users
- Allow Share Members to Manage Re-Shares