Metadata support is available starting from FileCloud 18.1.
data that provides additional information about files and folders.Metadata allows you to manage
FileCloud defines two levels of metadata definition:
- Attribute - defines a single piece of information that user can specify for file or folder.
- Metadata set - a group of related attributes with additional properties and settings. It works as a container for attributes.
Your Administrator must grant you permission before you can see the Metadata tab in the User Dashboard.
Ask your Administrator to grant you permission to access Metadata. Your administrator can grant the following types of permissions:
- Write access - you can add metadata sets to files and folders, edit respective values and remove sets.
- Read access - you can ONLY view values of the already associated metadata sets.
Figure 1. Metadata Terms
Every file and folder that exists in FileCloud.
Information about the file data.
Describes files and folders available in the system.
A single piece of information that describes the File Object.
In FileCloud attributes are defined as a part of the metadata set.
A set of metadata attributes that might be logically grouped and can be attached as a single entity to File Objects.
|a special type of attribute (referred to as the Array attribute type) that allows users to provide multiple custom values for each File Object.|
For example, resumes will always have:
HR wants to tag a resume status as:
Rules About Inheritance
The following rules apply to all files and folders and their metadata when you perform an operation:
|a new file or folder is created||a default metadata set is automatically attached to it with all attribute values populated with default values defined|
|a new file or folder is uploaded||a default metadata set is automatically attached to it with all attribute values populated with default values defined|
|a file or folder is copied||metadata values are not copied. The Default metadata set with default values will be added to the new File Object.|
|a file or folder is moved||associated metadata values are also moved. The metadata points to the original file or folder during its lifetime.|
|a file or folder is renamed||associated metadata values are also renamed. The metadata points to the original file or folder during its lifetime.|
|a file is removed and moved to the recycle bin||the associated metadata values are updated so they point to the file in the recycle bin.|
|a file is permanently removed from FileCloud Server||the associated metadata values are removed as well.|
View the Metadata for a File or Folder
Metadata Panel is available on the right hand side panel, next to Details and Activity Panels. It will only appear when both activity panel and metadata panel are enabled. Otherwise it will be hidden. This panel displays the following:-
- all metadata related information for the selected file or folder.
- a list of available metadata sets that can be added for the particular File Object.
- a list of associated metadata sets with corresponding attribute values.