This article will help you migrate your data into FileCloud and set it up correctly. Assume that your organization’s data looks like below: files organized by department. Your goal is to provide common folders for each team to access and edit.
Option 1: Organizing data under a common account
How to set it up?
Create a common account called as “CompanyName” for example “abc chemicals” and then load all the data in folders into that account. After uploading, the data structure looks like the following:
You can see that each folder in the master account will contain folders for each organizational department, say “HR”, or “Marketing” and so on. Each folder can then be shared out to different groups, ie HR folder can be shared out to the HR Group and so on.
How do users access the files?
When users login into FileCloud and they open the “Shared With Me” folder, they see the master account name first followed by the share name. For example, Shared With Me->CompanyName->”HR” or Shared With Me->CompanyName->”Marketing”
- Easier to administer by the IT Administrator since all data is stored in one account
- Only 1 additional license is needed for the common account
- Difficult to give management access to other users because they get access to all data not just their department data
Option 2: Organize data using Teams or Department
How to setup?
Create a number of different user accounts like “HR”. “Marketing” etc and then upload the common files belonging to each department. Then each department account (department managers can manage the file access) can share content to other users as needed.
When users login into FileCloud and they open the “Shared With Me” folder, the see the team/department name followed by the share name. For example, “Shared with me”->TeamName->Share
- Distribute the team account credentials to multiple managers or different users so it is easier to manage
- Each account is separate so it is easier to apply different security policies to each account
- Harder for administrator to administer because the data is spread out among multiple accounts
- Additional licenses are needed for each team account used