Support for Mobile Device Management (MDM) app configurations is available for the following FileCloud versions:
- iOS 18.2.10
- Android 18.2.1
FileCloud support complies with the AppConfig Community Standards.
Mobile device management (MDM) is an industry term for the administration of mobile devices, such as:
- tablet computers
- desktop computers
MDM is usually implemented with the use of a third party product that has management features for particular vendors of mobile devices.
MDM is typically a deployment of a combination of the following:
- on-device applications and configurations
- corporate policies and certificates
- backend infrastructure
The reason for using MDM is to simplify and enhance the IT management of end user devices.
In modern corporate IT environments, the sheer number and diversity of managed devices (and user behavior) has motivated MDM solutions that allow the management of devices and users in a consistent and scalable way.
The overall role of MDM is to increase device supportability, security, and corporate functionality while maintaining some user flexibility.
How Do I add FileCloud to my MDM?
When you enroll your device, you are issued an MDM certificate. This certificate is used to communicate with your MDM service.
Since there are many MDM providers and way to enroll, please check your MDM documentation for instructions on how to enroll your device.
You must enroll your device! It doesn't matter to FileCloud if it is a personal or company-owned device.
- Personally-owned devices - in this scenario the MDM only manages some apps and those apps' configurations
- Company-owned devices - in this scenario the MDM manages everything, including the ability to remotely wiping clean all content from the device
Again check your MDM support documentation, but we give here an example for a knwon MDM service: VMWare's https://www.air-watch.com
• Go to:
• Search for the app
Once added you'll be asked to add an assignment and configure the app for your users.
You can access these settings either when adding the app as above, or afterwards navigating to:
• Then either add an assignment or edit an existing one
For us the important settings are:
• Set Application Configuration → Enabled
Note: Feel free to delete the configuration fields that do not apply to your organization.
Note: Sensitive information such as password are best removed from the configuration. When not present users will be prompted to input their password manually on the device once.
Note: If your MDM doesn't recognize any of the provided XML spec files, you can enter those values manually:
- account (String): Account / Enter the name of the account you want to setu
- sso (String): SSO / Set this value to true to create an SSO account
- password (String): Password / Password of the account to setup (for non-SSO accounts)
- server (String): Server address / URL of your FileCloud server (MUST start with http:// or https://)
- enforce_lock (Boolean): Enforce lock / Set to true to prevent login if an app-specific passcode has not been set
- disable_edit (Boolean): Disable edit / Set to true to disable operations such as rename, copy, upload (if applicable)
- disable_download (Boolean): Disable download / Set to true to disable prevent file and folder downloads
- disable_openwith (Boolean): Disable 'Open with...' / Set to true to disable "Open with…"
- disable_share (Boolean): Disable Share / Set to true to disable "Share" operation
- disable_favs (Boolean): Disable Favorites / Set to true to disable "Add to Favorites" operation