Metadata functionality is available in FileCloud 18.1 and later.
Built-In metadata sets for Images and Document Life Cycles are available in FileCloud 19.1 and later.
A built-In metadata set for Microsoft Office Tag Metadata is available in FileCloud 20.1 and later.
Administrators can manage data that provides additional information about files and folders available in FileCloud using Metadata.
FileCloud defines two levels of metadata definition:
- Attribute - defines a single piece of information that user can specify for file or folder.
- Metadata set - a group of related attributes with additional properties and settings. It works as a container for attributes.
Figure 1. Metadata Terms
Every file and folder that exists in FileCloud.
Information about the file data.
Describes files and folders available in the system.
A single piece of information that describes the File Object.
In FileCloud attributes are defined as a part of the metadata set.
A set of metadata attributes that might be logically grouped and can be attached as a single entity to File Objects.
|a special type of attribute (referred to as the Array attribute type) that allows users to provide multiple custom values for each File Object.|
- Lives in the Human Resources Folder
- Has a created date
- Has a modified date
- the candidate's photo in their resume
For example, resumes will always have:
HR wants to tag a resume status as:
- New Hire
Metadata Set Types
FileCloud supports the following types of Metadata Sets:
This a special type of metadata set that is automatically associated with every single File Object when it is created, copied, uploaded, etc.
- For already existing File Objects it will be associated when the file / folder is accessed for the first time.
- Exactly one Default Set exists in FileCloud - it cannot be deleted, renamed or disabled, but administrators can customize attributes and permissions.
- Out of the box it is shipped with a single predefined attribute of Array type - Tags.
These are metadata sets that have been created for you.
- Administrators can edit the attributes
- Administrators can choose to disable the use of this metadata
- Image Metadata
- Document Life Cycle Metadata
- Microsoft Office Tag Metadata
- Color Tag Metadata
|Custom Metatdata Set||This is a fully customizable set of metadata, defined by the administrator.||As many as you want to create|
You must specify which users can access the Metadata attributes. If you do not add them, then the user will not be able to add a tag to their file.
Manage Metadata Permissions
Starting with FileCloud Version 20.1, by default, FileCloud files and folders stored on S3 and Azure cannot be downloaded for extraction if they are over 100MB. You may change the default size permitted for download using the procedure under Allowed Memory Size Exhausted on the Troubleshooting Metadata page.
In this section