Metadata functionality is available in FileCloud 18.1 and later.
Administrators can manage data that provides additional information about files and folders available in FileCloud using Metadata.
FileCloud defines two levels of metadata definition:
- Attribute - defines a single piece of information that user can specify for file or folder.
- Metadata set - a group of related attributes with additional properties and settings. It works as a container for attributes.
Figure 1. Metadata Terms
Every file and folder that exists in FileCloud.
Information about the file data.
Describes files and folders available in the system.
A single piece of information that describes the File Object.
In FileCloud attributes are defined as a part of the metadata set.
A set of metadata attributes that might be logically grouped and can be attached as a single entity to File Objects.
|a special type of attribute (referred to as the Array attribute type) that allows users to provide multiple custom values for each File Object.|
- Lives in the Human Resources Folder
- Has a created date
- Has a modified date
- the candidate's photo in their resume
For example, resumes will always have:
HR wants to tag a resume status as:
- New Hire
Metadata Set types
FileCloud supports two types of Metadata Sets:
- Default Metadata Set - a special type of metadata set that is automatically associated with every single File Object when it is created, copied, uploaded, etc. For already existing File Objects it will be associated when the file / folder is accessed for the first time. Exactly one Default Set exists in FileCloud - it cannot be deleted, renamed or disabled, but administrators can customize attributes and permissions. Out of the box it is shipped with a single predefined attribute of Array type - Tags.
- Custom Metadata Set - a fully customizable set of metadata, defined by the administrator.
Managing Metadata Sets
The metadata set definitions screen displays the list of defined metadata sets.
- The filter text box can be used to filter the metadata sets based on the metadata name.
- The individual metadata set on the metadata list can be viewed, edited and deleted.
- New metadata sets can be added by clicking the Add Metadata Set button and filling in the metadata set definition form.
Manage Metadata Permissions
Create a new Set Definition
Edit an existing Set Definition
Default Metadata Set cannot be removed.
You cannot undo or revert this deletion.
To delete an existing Custom metadata set definition:
- Log in to the Admin Portal.
- In the Home navigation panel on the left side, under Misc., select Metadata.
- In the Manage Metadata Sets section, select the one you want to grant access, and then click the delete icon .